Friday, January 25, 2013

Emergency! Emergency!

A few months ago I pinned this pin that showed me how to make a 72 hour emergency food kit. I thought, we have water stored in the garage, a first aid kit, a hand crank radio and flashlights. Then I thought we don't have food! Well we have food in our pantry but enough for all 5 of us for three days? So I did what came natural and went to Pinterest,  I came across this pin and added it to my Saddler Manor board. This particular pin lay dormant until the New Year when I had the epiphany to get organized, and I want to be as organized as possible when disaster strikes. I decided that this pin was a top priority. In the original pin it called for one gallon size container per person (like the ones that have crazy amounts of cheesey poofs in them).  At first I thought to myself where am I going to find five gallon size containers for all of us; panic set in and in my mind the Saddler's weren't going to make it threw the zombie apocalypse because each of us did not have our own container. As I was mourning our poor little family I thought at least we will be together, together!!!! That was the answer, I would put it in one big bin! We are not in the boy scouts and did not each need our own, and to be honest my one and half year old really doesn't need a whole can of soup to himself. So this is what I put in the bin:
Quaker

Day 1
Breakfast
-Quaker Perfect portion Oat Meal $1.67 (on sale at Ralph's)
Snack
-Half a cup of trail mix per person-$4.49
Lunch
-Lipton Noodle Soup packets- $2.58 (4 envelopes)
Snack
-Fruit snacks- $1.00 for 5 packets
Dinner
-Market Pantry Chicken Gumbo- $2.88 for 2 cans
$2.25 per person

Day 2
Breakfast
-Cereal Bars- $1.99 for 8
Snack
-Gogo Sqeez applesauce- $6.49 for 12
Lunch
- French onion soup mix- $2.58 (4 envelopes)
Snack
-Slim Jim beef sticks and V8 juice- $4.95 for beef sticks and $2.89 for V8
Dinner
-Velveeta mac and cheese $5.48 for two boxes
 $4.87 per person

Day 3
Breakfast
-Quaker perfect Portion Oat Meal (same package as above, and it will not kill you during the emergency to have oat meal twice!)
Snack
- Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Peanut bars $1.35 for five bars
Lunch
-Market Pantry Chicken Gumbo-$2.88 for 2 cans
Snack
-Trader Joe's fruit leathers $2.45 for 5
Dinner
-Box pasta and can of tomato sauce $1.99 and $.89
 $2.25 per person

I also added a box of Nescafe instant coffee (.99 for 7) and Splenda packets (free at your local Starbucks) because the you-know-what will really hit the proverbial fan if I don't have my morning cup of joe. Lastly, our 18 quart box was on sale at Target for $4.99. I suggest you make one of these, you can never be too prepared for a natural disaster or an alien invasion but this is a start. Good luck and Godspeed if there is ever a zombie apocalypse.

Till Next Blog
T.Sadd


No comments:

Post a Comment