Thursday, January 31, 2013

Dessert or Disaster?: The Greek FroYo Tribulation


Dreyer's 
Friday night we invited my oldest son's best friend for a sleepover. I LOVE sleepovers probably as much, if not more than, my kids (popcorn... gummy worms... and the latest Disney flick.) Actually, the boys make their pillow and blanket fortress upstairs and my husband and I get to enjoy some grown up TV down stairs well before the 8pm allotted time when the kids are in bed. This time I decided maybe Oreos would be a nice change up to gummy worms and when I found bags in the dollar section of Target, I was pretty excited.  I saw on the package it was only 130 calories for 9 of these little goodies. I used to avoid Oreos like John Mayer avoids commitment. I bet if I tried really hard I could take down an entire big package of Oreo's like Hulk Hogan taking down Randy Savage. In such a little package I could stop at 9 right?!?!? Then I had this brilliant idea I could make these cup pop things I found on Pinterest with them! The pin is called Ice Cream Layered Pops, I am a little bit (really just a hair) of a health enthusiast and in my infinite healthy knowledge I know ice cream is at the bad end of the food pyramid or 'pie chart' (whoever thought of calling it that was a real genius.) I decided Greek yogurt is much better, right and it probably tastes the same, right!?!? So I made about six of these little babies and threw in some of the Oreos. Wow was I wrong! The boys took one bite and knew instantly that they had been fooled. This was not ice cream but in fact as my oldest called it "Oreo sour cream." The jig was up! They still ate them by the way and my husband and I finished ours as well. I had to make things right so I went to the store the next day and bought a carton of Dreyer's Slow Turned Frozen Yogurt Blends. I made about 8 and there was still some frozen yogurt left in the carton, I mixed half with peanut butter and half with caramel sauce and all with peanuts. First, I put the nuts then a quarter of a cup of ice cream, half a Tbsp of peanut butter or caramel then quarter cup of ice cream, stick in a popsicle stick and viola! FroYo layered pops! The peanut butter varietal is 165 calories and the caramel is 155 calories. Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't, so if you don't then knock 25 calories off the total.
Till Next Blog,
T. Sadd

Quote of the Day- "You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him." Audrey Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment