Friday, February 22, 2013

Breakfast A-Go-Go

thekitchn.com
A-go-go (adjective) 2. Being in a whirl of motion; as stated in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. That is typically how I would describe my mornings; getting three kids up, ready, fed and out the door with both shoes on, backpack and lunch box in hand. I timed us once and from the first 'get your shoes' to us rolling down the driveway was 7 minutes! I have since made it a little easier on myself and have started to put the backpack and lunch box in the car the night before and put the shoes next to the door. I am hoping these pins will also help me in the morning's mad dash: Freezer Breakfast Burritos and Yogurt in a Mason Jars. For the Breakfast Burritos I used the Romero's Casera Style tortillas, half a package of Trader Joe's Frozen Hash Browns, 10 cage free eggs, sauteed bell peppers and a sprinkle of  mexican blend shredded cheese. The total cost for one burrito is .65 cents and each one is about 225 calories. Just wrap it in a paper towel and heat, I flipped them at 30 second intervals and it took about 2 minutes. The yogurt jars I made yesterday but of course I had to try one even though it wasn't breakfast so these could also double as a mid afternoon snack. I made two variations one with honey flavored Greek yogurt and the other with vanilla Greek yogurt. I have to admit I am not a huge honey Greek yogurt fan but when I was at Trader Joe's the other day they were sampling it with their granola, it was amazing! I bought two of the 5.3oz container of the honey and the vanilla and couldn't wait to get home and mix these up in 4oz mason jars. I use apricot preserve with the honey and sprinkled a tablespoon of granola on top. For the vanilla I heated blueberries and a tablespoon of water and a teaspoon of Stevia (you can also use Splenda or even sugar, in sugars defense it does only have 17 calories per teaspoon) and let it cook for about 5 minutes on high till it made a nice chunky syrup. I poured that on the bottom of the 4oz mason jar and topped it with 3oz of yogurt and of course the granola. They are both approximately 120 calories but have 9g of protein and cost about .75 cents each to make.  I hope these help make your morning a-go-go's a little less hectic!
Till next blog,
T.Sadd

P.S. The granola was a little mushy the next morning but still really good, if you like yours with crunch add the granola right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment